If you want to understand the problems with medical model outcomes, the most definitive source is Robert Whitaker's work and website, MadinAmerica.com. This is really the most careful and comprehensive analysis of the research to date. Bob won a national investigative journalism award in 2010 for documenting the link between Pharma, psychiatry and dramatically worsening medical model outcomes. Bob's work is so thought provoking and persuasive that it has convinced many career psychiatrists of the urgent nice to rethink these issues.
Since no one makes the case better or more clearly than Bob, I refer you to the parts of his work that, for me, have been the most personally illuminating.
- Whitaker, R., & Cosgrove, L. (2015). Psychiatry Under the Influence: Institutional Corruption, Social Injury, and Prescriptions for Reform https://www.madinamerica.com/2015/11/psychiatry-under-the-influence/.
- Whitaker, R. (March 30, 2014), The Fat Lady Has Sung, https://www.madinamerica.com/2014/03/fat-lady-sung/
- Whitaker, R. (2010). Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America https://www.madinamerica.com/2011/11/anatomy-of-an-epidemic/
- Whitaker, R. (2010). Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine, and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill, https://www.madinamerica.com/2011/11/mad-in-america/
- More articles by Robert Whitaker: https://www.madinamerica.com/author/rwhitaker/
- More articles by professionals and authors with lived experience who are critical of the medical model and/or some of its current practices, www.madinamerica.com