Social Determinations of Health
- Poor social and economic circumstances affect health throughout life.
- People further down the social ladder have twice the risk of serious illness and premature death
- Both material and psychosocial causes contribute
- Both material and psychosocial factors extend to most diseases and causes of death’
- Disadvantages tend to concentrate among the same people
- Effects of disadvantage on health accumulate during life.
- The longer people live in stressful economic and social circumstances, the greater the wear and tear they suffer,